Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Nursery Project

Vinyl Or Shower Curtain? I Choose Shower Curtain!!!:)

So, January of this year we were blessed with our beautiful baby girl, Kirsten Anne.  She is 4 months old and let's just say that the nursery is a work in progress.  I keep doing little things here and there.  First, my dad and Jacob put up the bead board....and I love it!  Then we painted above the bead board a nice shade of "baby yellow".  After that I was stuck.  I thought maybe about putting up some cute vinyl stuff, so my sister came up for a visit and we went shopping.  We went to four different stores and did not find anything that we like or that would be big enough.  We would have had to buy four or five vinyl sets which would have been about $100 if we were to get what we liked.  With that said, we didn't even really like the choices.  As we were leaving Target I noticed a super cute owl shower curtain.


What You Will Need:
1-2 Shower Curtains; Depending on size of your room
Scissors
1 Bottle of Modge Podge
1 Paint Brush
TOTAL COST: $27 ($20 shower curtain & $7 modge podge)
  At that moment we became very ambitious.  We thought, what if we cut out the owls and modge podged them on?  Brilliant!  Here is the shower curtain all laid out.
We cut out each row of owls so we had strips to put up.  Janelle got up on the ladder and started with the first row.  We put modge podge on the back sides of the owls first to put them up in place and then did a coat of modge podge over them to secure them in place. I have the 16 oz modge podge and only used about 1/4 of it.
My one suggestion would be to make some sort of line for you to follow.  It was kind of hard since we had the different heights for the owls, so we just eyeballed it as we went.  Depending on the pattern you choose a line to follow may help or may not.  Before we knew it we were done. The cutting out took the longest, but over all was about a four hour project.  My shower curtain covered 3/4 of the room.  I left the wall above the crib blank so my brother-in-law can paint something cutesy:)  The great part about using modge podge is that it is strong enough to hold the shower curtain, but makes it easy to remove without leaving a mess behind.  So you will be able to easily redo the room if needed!
Finished Product!!! and grandpa:)

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea!! How much did the project end up costing? Does the Modge come off the wall easily if you wanted to take the owls off later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The shower curtain was $20 and if you need to purchase modge podge plan for about $6-$8. That was it:) They come off very nicely which is fantastic. I thought the same thing when I started in case I was wanting to redo the room. It's great because they are totally secure and look like they would not peel, but will if you need them to.

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I love it. Her room is adorable.

    ReplyDelete